(There were reports that the Confederates removed troops from Dalton, Georgia. It was felt that this was an opportunity to capture the city. The 93rd was in the line of battle but not directly involved in the fighting. The resistance was stronger than expected and the Federals had to withdraw. There were a total of 345 Union and 167 Confederate casualties.)

To see a copy of several of the original diary pages from which this section is taken, click here.

February 24, 1864

Last night we marched till 11 in the night. Then we halted for the remaner of the night. I can tell you they marched us hard yesterday. We marched about 30 miles. We started at 5 in the morning and rested about 3 hours and marched the rest of the time. The boys say that this was the hardest march that they ever marched yet. We are in camp yet this morning. It is about 9 now and we are still laying. We are not far from Dalton. The rebs are over on tunnel Hill. I think we have to fight. We come back now about 5 miles and are laying in a line of batle. There are two lines formed. We are prety near Dalton Station. We lay here all day in line of batle. This evening we moved up in the timber for to camp. We have a prety nice place to sleep on and lots of leaves to lay on. Nothing more.

February 25, 1864

This morning we were roused up at 2 o clock to be redy to march at three o clock. We had to get up prety erly. We are now within 5 miles of Dalton. Today we lay near the rebs. We were up so close that we could see them fight. Our men charged on a reble batery and took it and afterwards they have repulsed the 84 Ohio. They took a runing. Then the others had to run and they fought prety hard yesterday but didnt hold them.

February 26, 1864

This morning we lay on the place that we lay in line of batle the first day yesterday morning. We marched about 8 miles then formed a line of batle and lay there till nine last evening. Then we marched back. We had a prety bad place. The rebs throwed several shot over us but so high that they didnt do (unidentified). It was prety normal up front. We were stationed on a hill so we could see them plain. The rebs throwed a shot over us and they (unidentified) in front of us. It took the top of a tree off and killed one man and wounded (unidentified) passed over us. We seen them carry the wounded right past us. They helped some rebs (unidentified). We marched this morning to the top of the rige. Now we are laying in line of batle and have been all morning. It is about 2 PM now and the caverley have all gone front. They reported that the rebs are only about 3 miles from here. They say old John Morgan ( General John Morgan famous for the Morgan Raids) is on the road to reforce the rebs.

February 27, 1864

Last night we got orders to march as quick as the moon raised. We started just as the moon rose. It was ten o clock in the night. We marched about 5 miles back. We had to retreat. Now we are about two miles from Ringgold. We lay on a high hill this morning. This afternoon about 1 o clock we got order to march. The rebles they shelled our retreat like everything.

February 28, 1864

Today we marched about 12 m. Then we got to our old camp again. We got here to Cleveland (Tennessee) at 3 pm. Now we are in our old tent again. Yesterday after we had left the rebs they come in and shelled our retreat. The caverley they fought them a while but I see there were a few of the reble caverley that come out to see us.